Here at the 108, it is our job….our duty to bring to you the great personalities of White Sox twitter, either via tweet / photo / video or blog post. In continuing with the tradition of bringing you “the goods” from White Sox twitter we have our interview with the man who has the biggest mufuckin’ White Sox hat collection on the planet, Chris Marysz (), ENJOY!!!
Favorite Game That You Were At
- July 17th, 2005. Game 4 of a 4 game series between the White Sox and the Indians in Cleveland. Me and a buddy of mine drove to Cleveland to that game. We swept the Indians and took a commanding lead in the division that season.
- June 30th, 2005. White Sox at Detroit is up there too. Freddy Garcia pitched a complete game in Detroit. Another great game to attend.
- September 21st, 2015. Jeff Samardzija shoulda have a perfect game that day if it wasn’t for a fucking single by Victor Martinez in the 5th I was so mad when that happened. But that pitching performance by Samardzija was awesome!! Another great game I attended.
Favorite All Time Player That Doesn’t Have a Statue On the Concourse
- Mark Buehrle needs a statue on the concourse for his pitching and fielding contributions.
Favorite Drink and Dinner at the Park
- I try not to buy food or beer inside the ballpark. Prices are too high. On Sunday games, me and Michelle C. will go out to dinner after the game. Get a good meal. I love going to get gyros after the games.
Favorite Place to Sit
- Anywhere in the lower bowl or Club section at Guaranteed Rate Fied. I do not like the upper deck at GRF. At road games, I’ve sat in the upper deck.
- It’s a tie between the 1983 home jerseys and the gray road pants with the alternate black jersey.
- I don’t have a favorite giveaway per se. I like all bobblehead, hat, and t-shirt giveaways.
Favorite Theme Night
- Beatles Night in 2017. That game was part of a doubleheader. Lots of alcohol consumed. In the 2nd game, we made our way to the 108, but no one was there. I was shirtless, don’t be shocked, and I was on the jumbotron. People saw it and said shit to me about it, lmfao!!!!
What irks you the most about White Sox fans?
- The fans that don’t understand the rebuild process irk me the most. Yes, we’re gonna suck during these years when the farm system is being developed. Deal with it. Good things are coming our way soon!!!
What is the worst part of being a Sox fan?
- Not making the playoffs in the last 10 seasons. I want a playoff appearance damnit!!!!!
Worst part of the game day experience?
- Waiting in line to enter the ballpark.
What really grinds your gears?
- Don’t lie to me. And people that piss me off. Don’t piss me off either.
Least Favorite White Sox player of all time
- Adam LaRoche by far. Didn’t like having him on the team. Having his son constantly in the clubhouse was a distraction to the team IMO. A kid his age needs to be in school, not at the ballpark.
Most memorable experience as a White Sox fan
- Being at White Sox games with my friends. During these lean years the White Sox have experienced, enjoying the game with your friends makes the game worthwile.
Ballpark experience, how could it be better?
- I wish the White Sox would make their giveaways all fan giveaways like they do for most giveaways at Miller Park. It wouldn’t force me, or fans alike, to wait in line forever to get the item. Then get in the park early and be forced to buy concessions if you’re thirsty or hungry. I’d rather tailgate and eat and drink in my car where it’s cheaper.
Best Sox Park hack?
- In and out privileges at Gate 5 to go ‘smoke.’ Just go out to the car and have another drink. It’s cheaper from the car versus the ballpark.
What brings you back for every game?
- I love going to White Sox games. Being with and seeing the friends I’ve made at the ballpark over the past 4 seasons makes going to games worth it win or lose.
Feelings on the wave?
- FUCK THE WAVE. When the wave happens at the ballpark and it gets to me, I put my right arm up with the middle finger flying high!!!!
Which Gate is your favorite to enter the park from?
How Early Do You Get To Games?
- Usually I arrive 90-120 minutes prior to games to get a good parking spot and do some tailgaiting. When I go to Saturday games, I’ll park in Lot B. For Sunday games, it’s mostly Lot E due to arriving later than I plan.
What Do You Bring To Games?
- I bring a carry-in bag with me to games that has a bottle of water, snacks, phone charger, and eyeglass wipes. I bring a cooler with me to tailgate before games filled with ice, pop, and beer.
How Many Games Do You Go To Each Year?
- I average 20-25 games a season since I’ve been going back to White Sox games in 2015. 2018 was the best season for me attendance wise. I did 20 White Sox home games, 3 White Sox games in Detroit, 2 White Sox games in Pittsburgh, 2 White Sox games in St. Louis, 1 White Sox game in Cleveland, and 1 White Sox game in Cincinnati. I also make it a point to get to 1 Milwaukee Brewers home game. I love Miller Park!!! I also went to a random Kansas City Royals – Cleveland Indians game in Cleveland just because I love going to baseball games.
Section 108 Questions
What is your favorite baseball word?
What is your least favorite baseball word?
- And this ballgame is ovah.
What get’s you excited about the White Sox?
- Watching them play, going to games, interacting with my friends and White Sox fans.
What makes you sad about the White Sox?
- Not making the playoffs in 10 years.
What sound or noise at the ballpark do you love?
- I love when the fans cheer at the ballpark. Gets the juices flowing. Makes the game day experience better.
What sound or noise at the ballpark do you hate?
- I don’t have a noise I hate at the ballpark. One thing I do hate is the wave. FUCK THE WAVE!!!
What is your favorite Hawkism?
- ‘You can put it on the board, YES!!!!!!’
Let’s get on with it, you have this biggest muthafuckin’ White Sox hat collection there is, what number are you at right now?
- As of this interview, I am at 178 White Sox hats.
How did you get started with collecting White Sox hats?
- It started when I purchased the 2016 Father’s Day hat. Love that hat. Then 2017 came and started getting more of the themed hats and things went from there.
Which White Sox hat in the collection is your favorite?
- The 2017 Father’s Day White Sox hat. I love the shade of blue they used on the hat. Plus I took the best buzzed selfie ever wearing that hat at a Speedway in Amherst, OH driving back to my Mom’s after seeing the White Sox play the Indians in Cleveland on June 10, 2017.
Which White Sox hat in the collection is the rarest?
- The heathered gray top, dark gray bill with the dark gray White Sox logo. Saw it on clearance at a mall. Had to get it. Had some people ask me where I got it because they wanted it. That hat was a lucky clearance find. It’s one of my top hats to wear.
What means do you use to acquire all of these awesome hats?
- I refuse to buy a hat at the ballpark. Prices are too expensive. I’m not paying the ridiculous City of Chicago / State of Illinois taxes, unless the hat is on clearance. I will not pay full price for a hat. The trick I use is paying $5 a year for the Access Pass Premium thru Lids. You get 20% off hats and 10% off other merchandise. I’ve also used Hat Club for hat purchases as well. With the exception of promotional giveaway hats at the ballpark, I only buy New Era hats, size 7-1/4. I will get snap back hats if they look cool. Fitted is the way to go. Never was a fan of the ’47 brand, so I will not get a hat from that company.
Which of the hats do you wear the most?
- 2016 and 2017 Father’s Day hats, 1983 Road White Sox hat, the gray on gray heathered hat mentioned above, my newest acquisition, the Sock logo hat, and the White Sox logo meshed into a baseball.
Are there any White Sox hats out there that you don’t have?
- Of course there are a bunch of hats that I don’t have. I try to get all the season themed hats when they come out. Other hats I get once they go on clearance.
If there was a sick hat giveaway that you wanted to add to your collection, and MySoxSummer was ahead of you in line to snag the last one, what would you do?
- Go on eBay and purchase it. I know how the giveaway sales game works.
Do you have any favorite #108ing stories you’d like to share, ballpark or otherwise?
- Before #108ing became a thing, many a New Years Eve, I’d get shitfaced early on in the day and pass out usually around 730p-800p from the amount of liquor I’ve consumed. I would always awake shortly before midnight to see the ball drop and ring in the New Year!!
What’s your greatest fear about the “rebuild”?
- My biggest fear about the rebuild is that it could possibly fail and we won’t see postseason play for a long time. This 10 year drought of being in the postseason sucks.
What is there about this team that excites you the most?
- I cannot wait until Eloy Jimenez makes his White Sox debut!!! I know for a fact a lot of Chicago NL baseball team fans were pissed off when he got traded to the White Sox. He’s gonna be a great baseball player for many years to come. And yes, I will be buying his shirsey and jersey once they go on sale.
Give us a #HotTake about the rebuild.
- A #HotTake I have about the rebuild is Michael Kopech will come back from Tommy John surgery better than ever. He is going to be the ace of the pitching staff for years to come.
Favorite White Sox Twitter Account (Besides @fromthe108) and why?
- I don’t have a favorite account per se. Everyone I have met from White Sox Twitter and Facebook all have been awesome and great people. I definitely would like to meet more Twitter and Facebook people in 2019.
Person from White Sox Twitter that you’d most like to meet and why?
- For a verified Twitter account, it definitely would be Daniel Palka. That dude loves the 108 guys and crew and what they are all about. It is very awesome to have a player like him endorsing the 108. For a non-verified Twitter account, it would have to be anyone from the South Bend, IN area who like the White Sox like me. I know there are plenty of White Sox fans local to me. Please, feel free to hit me up. Let’s go out and have a drink somewhere and talk sports and whatnot.
Favorite Non-White Sox Twitter Account and why?
- It would definitely have to be @506sports. During NFL and college football season, the guy that runs this Twitter account tells you which games you will get on local TV and who will be announcing the game. Very useful information in my book.
What do you like best about @fromthe108 ?
- All you guys are very awesome people. Glad to have met you guys at the ballpark. Always a great time going to say HI at the ballpark and shooting the shit for a bit while seeing our beloved White Sox play.
Favorite White Sox related blog or podcast and why?
- I don’t listen to podcasts. I hardly read blogs, so I don’t really have a favorite. I get my White Sox news from Twitter followers and Facebook groups.
What is your favorite alcoholic drink for #108ing? Be specific and feel free to go with more than one if you need to. What about your favorite beer style?
- For me, it’s the classic Captain and Coke, made with Coca Cola, not Pepsi. Though Wild Cherry Pepsi is acceptable. I’m a big, big, big fan of Captain Morgan. Beerwise, I like Miller Lite, Yuengling, and Spotted Cow.
Favorite cut of Steak? Prepared?
- I’ll eat any steak that’s cooked rare or medium rare. I will not eat steak cooked well done. I refuse to eat shoe leather.
Gimme an “Uncle Rico” moment from your prior sports playing past.
- Me play sports??? Hahahahahahahaha, I’m not in fucking shape to play sports. I get winded too easily. I did Science Olympiad in high school. That was my kind of thing.
Where would you take @ChiPartyAunt out on a date?
- Who the hell is @ChiPartyAunt?? I’ve seen people retweet tweets from her. But I do not follow her.
Favorite performance enhancing drug?
- I don’t do drugs, so I’ll decline this answer.
Who do you hate more Jim Belushi or John Cusack?
- I don’t have an answer to this question. I’ll pass, lol!!!
What Other Chicago Teams Do You Enjoy
- Have no interest in the NBA. I’m a Packers fan, so I despise Da Bears!!! Big, big Notre Dame fan seeing as I live in South Bend. And Notre Dame is close enough to Chicago to count in my book.
Favorite Chicago Sports History Moment
- 7/23/2009. Dewayne Wise making that spectacular catch in left field. He doesn’t make that catch, Mark Buehrle doesn’t get the perfect game. And winning the 2005 World Series was great as well. The entire 2005 postseason was great. We were so dominant that year.
Favorite All-Time Sox Broadcaster
- Ken ‘Hawk’ Harrelson without a doubt. Watching the Sox in the 1990s with him and Tom ‘Wimpy’ Pacoriek was the best. Loved that broadcasting duo.
Any Stories About Running Into or Meeting White Sox Players? Other Chicago Athletes?
- Went to my 1st and only SoxFest in 2016 and met some players there. Won’t ever do SoxFest again tho. Not for me. Rather attend baseball games at the ballpark. Better experience for me.
- Too many favorite bands, lol. I like Led Zeppelin, Van Halen, The Who, anything in the classic rock genre and / or is on 97.1 The Drive, which is my go to radio station when I go out to Chicago.
What is your favorite song?
- Stairway to Heaven – Led Zeppelin
Favorite TV Show (or Netflix or HBO or whatever the fuck)?
- Favorite TV show has to be Two and a Half Men (Seasons 1-8). Big, big, big fan of that show when Charlie Sheen was lead actor.
Married or Single? Looking for a GF?
- I wouldn’t mind having a girlfriend if anyone is available, lol!!!
Do you remember your first Sox game?
- My 1st White Sox game was in 1993 vs. the Oakland Athletics. Dad took us there when I was 10. Loved the White Sox ever since.
What Player had the greatest impact on you?
- Frank Thomas without a doubt. Face of the White Sox in the 1990s. He is the main reason I became a White Sox fan.
What was the happiest day watching the Sox?
- October 26th, 2005 when we won the World Series for the 1st time in 88 years!!! Best day ever. Also, October 26th is my Mother’s birthday. I called her to wish her happy birthday before the game begin when I was sober. Then I called her again after we won the World Series 3 sheets to the wind, lmfao!! It was late for her on that 2nd phone call. She understood why I was happy!!!
What was the saddest day watching the Sox?
- I don’t have a moment I’d say is sad to say. I’ve seen enough losses in my day to not get sad anymore. At least in the current moment.
What do you do for work? If you could be or do anything else – what?
- I work for WestRock. I make corrugated boxes. My machine makes moving type sized boxes and boxes you regularly see in stores that stock the shelves. It pays the bills and allows me to buy hats, attend White Sox games, and have fun.
If you could live in any other time, when might that be?
- I would like to live in the late 1950s on when the interstate highway system was first started to be constructed. It would be awesome to see all the highways we know today get built from the ground up, I’m a roadgeek, so that’s my type of thing.
If you could have dinner with five White Sox Players, past and present, who would they be?
If you could change one thing in your past, what might that be?
- Wish I never got a credit card right after I turned 18 years old.
What are you most proud of?
- I am most proud of 2 things: My hat collection. The 4 slot machine handpays I have got within the last 2 years.
How would you like to be remembered?
- I would like to be remembered for doing everything I do the best I was able to. And I want you to remember me for being your friend as well.
What’s the one thing about you few people know?
- I would say many people here don’t know I’m a roadgeek. I’m the GPS system before GPS systems came to be, lol.
What do you dislike most about yourself?
- Definitely would be my teeth. Wish I would have taken better care of them over the years.
What do you dislike most in others?
- Don’t lie to me. Not worth my time. Just tell me the truth. Makes things easier that way.
What were your best/worst subjects in school?
- Best subjects were math, geography, chemistry, CAD / drafting, and US history. Worst was English and gym.
What do you like doing in your spare time?
- I like going to the casino, playing PS4, playing poker with the guys on Saturday nights, attending White Sox games, hanging out with my friends.
Who is your celebrity crush?
- Katharine McPhee. When CBS aired the show Scorpion, it was a must to watch the current episode as soon as I could just so I could see her. Wow she is so beautiful.
What is your favorite movie?
What is your favorite baseball movie?
- Definitely the 1st Major League movie hands down. An amazing movie to watch before the regular baseball season begins to get you pumped up for the upcoming season ahead!!
What is your biggest/weirdest fear?
- I hate seeing blood of other people. Seeing it in person or on TV, I cringe and turn my head or shield me eyes. I definitely could not work in the medical field.
What would be your one super power?
- Avoiding accents when I’m out driving. Plenty of near misses, but I manage no damage. Always gotta be alert when driving. Especially at night when deer love to chill in the middle of the highway.
What would you change your name to?
- I like my name. My last name, Marysz, is very unique. It’s Polish.
What pet would you love to have?
- I’d get a cat. Easy to maintain. Not a lot of work to take care of a one. I like dogs, but I don’t have the time to take care of one.
What’s your one biggest pet peeve?
- I hate when people snore when I’m trying to sleep. If I hear snoring, I can’t sleep.
What’s your one annoying habit?
- I’d probably say biting my fingernails. Always do it. It’s disgusting. I need to stop. And some people would say me smoking is annoying too. I need to quit smoking. But it’s hard to do.
What would be a good theme song for your life?
- Good Vibrations by the Beach Boys. That song is used in the movie Vegas Vacation. And I like to go to the casino. It’s so me, lol!!!
What ballpark would you like to visit?
- All the ones I have yet to attend a game at. The current ballparks I have been to are: Guaranteed Rate Field, Miller Park, Busch Stadium III, Comerica Park, Progressive Field, PNC Park, Fenway Park, Wrigley Field, Great American Ballpark. I have once been to Tiger Stadium and saw the White Sox there about 25 years ago.